The University of Sheffield
Management School

Management School News


We teach champions! Enactus and the Steelers hit the big time

Enactus Sheffield - National Champions 2014

Enactus Sheffield, a student-run company specialising in social enterprise projects in Sheffield and around the world, claimed an emphatic victory at the Enactus National Finals 2014.

This means that they will be joining the international league in Beijing – representing the UK. The success was a team effort, spearheaded by a small executive group formed mostly by students on business and accountancy programmes at Sheffield University Management School.

Managing director of Enactus, Caroline Turner, who is a second-year BA Accounting and Financial Management student at the Management School, said: “The team have been absolutely incredible, the hours they put in showed through at nationals this year. Every single one of our 169 members has had a part to play in changing lives through social enterprise and winning nationals gives us more opportunity to further the projects. 

Our presentation started with an update on three of our international projects but focused very much on our local portfolio. We presented two of our longest running projects: Homemade and HOPE working with the survivors of human trafficking, survivors of domestic and sexual abuse and the homeless. We also presented the extensions to these projects HOPE Cosmetics and Re:Made, which gives vulnerable individuals the chance to be employed in a business, sometimes leading to their first job.”

Although Enactus Sheffield’s team has representatives from all five faculties at the university, 50 per cent of students who work with them are from the Management School. Caroline first got involved with Enactus Sheffield during first-year intro week. She said: “There was a large introductory meeting and part of it was a quick talk on Enactus. Jahaan [the previous managing director] was so inspiring, I knew it was for me! The School has given us such amazing support – Jon Burchell is one of our long standing (and long suffering) advisors who is always there to offer guidance.”

Prior to China, the team will refine their presentation and work hard on the projects mentioned to be even more competitive on an international stage. On the rewarding nature of Enactus Sheffield, Caroline enthused: “Working with such inspirational beneficiaries is the best thing for me, seeing the difference that social enterprise makes in their lives makes everything so worth it!

“Everybody should get involved in Enactus! The people you meet are incredible and driven, and it’s such a great environment to be in. You’ll develop so many skills – we have training in all areas and being pushed beyond your comfort zone all the time means that you learn so quickly. We have incredible sponsor companies who support us, improve the projects and are keen to employ our members  – in fact, over 70 per cent of the executive team last year landed jobs with sponsor companies, whilst the other 30 per cent all received a graduate job with another company using their experience). But, most of all, there’s no bigger motivator than knowing you can make a life-changing difference to somebody, and we give you all the tools you need to help achieve that.”

Steelers Play-off Champions 2014

Also demonstrating the Management School’s winning ways in front of a national crowd were ice-hockey team, the Sheffield Steelers. Victory against the Belfast Giants made them Play-off Champions 2014, and the team consisted of five of the School’s MBA delegates, captain Steven Goertzen, Frank Doyle, Gord Baldwin, Dustin Kohn and Drew Fata.

 

If you are a member of staff or a student and want to get involved with Enactus Sheffield, please email: managing.director@enactussheffield.org. Read more about Enactus Sheffield’s ‘Road to China’ on their blog: http://enactussheffield.blogspot.pt/2014/04/enactus-uk-nationals-2014.html

Tags: ,

Comments are closed.